Wednesday, July 18, 2007

Beautifying the World

Being American I have a self centered view of the world. It isn't something I am proud of, but rather something that has been ingrained into me. There are those who speak around me of giving to others, and I strive to do so. But I think for the most part the things that excite me the most are the things that happens to me.


FedEx gave us a settlement, because they messed up (you can read about it here). It was a nice settlement and we decided that we would be buying furniture with it. We have lived here a month now and have had a dining room table, dining room chairs, a desk, and my mom has had a bed. Nothing more. We picked out a couch at Big Lots, but were waiting for their 20% off sale that is coming on Sunday. Then we got a call with a beautiful set that was being given away free. It now abides in our living room, and is gorgeous.

The problem with being American is that I am not the only one who seems to be self centered. My mother (who is part of our household, see 1001 Things I Hate About Living With My Mom) is also one who is self centered. Only unlike most Americans the fact that we are family doesn't change the self centeredness one iota. We bought a TV for the living room, mostly because I like to watch movies, though she is planning on watching soaps everyday religiously, which drives me crazy. It isn't a big TV, it cost 150 dollars. Except now she has added a 150 dollar TV to the things she needs for her room. Along with an 100 dollar chair for the living room and a 100 dollar chair for her room and 2 book cases and a dresser and two end tables. Plus she is the only one that got to go on a shopping spree. The rest of us aren't buying new wants (such as clothes or craft supplies) because we wanted the house to have the things it needed first. Well, overall, I am feeling frustrated.

But such is a dull life.



No comments: